Common Golf Terms Explained: Part 2

Common Golf Terms Explained: Part 2

Welcome to Part 2 of our series explaining common golf terms you hear. Be sure to get caught up on Part 1, if you missed it. We covered a lot of the basic terms describing a golf club.

Here in Part 2, we’re going to focus on terms for different types of clubs in the industry.

Common Terms For Golf Club Types

Muscleback Irons

mizuno mp20 muscleback irons

Muscleback irons are the small, thin irons with little forgiveness seen in the bags of the best ball strikers. The shape of the iron allows the user to have ultimate control over the shape of the golf shot.

The irons get their name from the ridge of material found on the back of the clubhead. This material controls the center of gravity and adds a little bit of forgiveness by pushing some weight to the perimeter of the club.

Cavity Back Irons

taylormade m6 cavity back irons

Cavity Back irons are at the opposite end of the spectrum from muscleback irons. They are the more forgiving and usually higher launching, helping high-handicap golfers hit it straight.

The name “cavity back” comes from the design of the club. There is an actual cavity that is formed behind the clubface. Usually, you can see it but club companies are making more models that hide the cavity. Think TaylorMade P790 irons or PING G700 irons, for example.

Forged Irons

The term “forged irons” is generally used when talking about irons suited for better golfers. That category of clubs usually makes the entire clubhead with some type of forging process, hence the common term.

In recent years, club manufacturers have been forging specific parts of clubs, like the face cavity back irons, to improve feel and performance.


Blades” is another common term used when talking about muscleback irons. Their profile is very thin and almost “sharp” looking, like a blade.

Mallet and Blade Putters

scotty cameron 2018 select putters

There are 2 different terms used to describe putters; mallet and blade.

Mallet putters have a large head that looks like a hammer or mallet. The larger surface area makes the clubs more forgiving by adding perimeter weight. These putters are ideal for golfers with a straight-back-straight-through putting stroke.

Blade putters are the opposite of mallets. They are smaller and thinner, fitting an arcing putting stroke the best.

Terms for the clubs in the rest of your bag

The rest of the clubs in the bag are driver, fairway wood, hybrid, and wedge. These are all fairly self-explanatory but if you need some help defining them, reach out to our PGA Professionals.

That’s All for Part 2 of the Series

Thanks for checking out Part 2 of our series on common golf terms explained. We’re available if you have any further questions. Stay tuned for the last part of our series.


We are a golf company that caters to golfers interested in enhancing their enjoyment of the game. We cherish the moments when customers use our insight and selection to discover their product wishes, then hit that new driver a little farther, use that new putter to sink the clutch putt or arrive at the first tee looking just a little sharper wearing that latest golf fashion. We like to consider the resulting smiles a reflection of your satisfaction of the products and services that can be found at GlobalGolf.